Janet Hardy has tagged me on the author Next Big Thing Blog tour where I talk about a current book project. While I have several projects working, I’ll discuss my novel in process. When you get to the end, you’ll find several other authors I’ve tagged to carry on the tour as well as a link back to Janet.
My Next Big Thing –
1) What is the working title of your book? The Republic and the Patriot or The Republic – I am back and forth undecided.
2)Where did the idea for the book come from? A couple of presidential elections ago I considered what might happen if the peaceful transfer of power that is the United States presidential election was perverted via terrorism and what if that terrorism was home-grown?
3) What genre does it fall under? Fiction, thriller
4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Jodie Foster for Lieutenant Colonel Rockabye, the kick ass hero, Bruce Greenwood as the domestic terrorist foil, and Karl Urban as Captain Rockabye’s son who responds to a dare that has unimaginable consequences.
5) What is the one sentence synopsis of your book? Military officers swear to uphold the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic – foreign is easy, domestic not so much.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Undecided at this point in the process.
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft? I’m mid way through the first draft now. I expect to finish by midsummer.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Hard question at the moment – but some movies that come to mind include U.S. Marshals, and The General’s Daughter where something is different from what it seems.
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book? The beginning concept came from a briefing I received during training as an Information Operations Officer in the Army that raised the question how does a serving officer respond to domestic constitutional threats? The book grew from a homework assignment from author Rosemary Graham when in her novel craft class while a MFA student. I revised a short story I was working and expanded it as the characters didn’t want to remain a short story.
10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Parts of the story reflect the experiences of Army reserve soldiers recalled to active duty, highlighting the integral and largely misunderstood part they play in the national defense. The overall theme is duty, honor, country; family, and sacrifice for blood or treasure. Read the first chapter here.
Check out these other authors on the blog tour –
Joleene Naylor, author of the Amaranthine Series
Quannie Mitchell, the 2013 Emerging Writer Honoree
also mentioned Janet Hardy author of Girlfag and Rosemary Graham, author of Stalker Girl
3 responses to “Next Big Thing Blog Tour”
Pingback: Next Big Thing Blog Tour: Tales of the Executioners « Amaranthine Night
If Karl Urban is in it, I’m there 😉 Hee-hee!
Seriously though, sounds like an interesting read!
I appreciate your frank discussion of process and how you work. Thanks!