Find my work in print in literary journals Adanna, Bluestem, Ditch, and others as well as in the anthologies More Bridges: the 2007 San Francisco Writers Conference Anthology, Powder: Writing by Women in the Ranks, from Vietnam to Iraq, and Flashback 2010 among others. An essay and poem were used as part of the source material for the stage play Coming in Hot, an adaptation of the book Powder: Writing by Women in the Ranks, from Vietnam to Iraq.
Works Online – -
Poetry: Passage ditch, the poetry that matters (August 2013)
Poetry: Trigeminal Neuralgia – A Neurological Condition ditch, the poetry that matters (August 2013)
Poetry: Stone Upon My Heart Bay Laurel Literary online journal (December 21, 2012)
Short story: Captain Harper Says Goodbye Bay Laurel Literary online journal (December 21, 2012)
Essay: Chaplains: Force Multiplier or Force Distracter? OutServe Magazine (November 23, 2012)
Poetry at HOUSEFIRE (January 2012)
How to give good feedback The Writer Magazine (May 2011)
Op-Ed in the Advocate online Why Our Family is Fighting DOMA. (November 3, 2011)
Op-Ed in Army Times Women Unfairly Denied Shot at Ranger School (May 31, 2004)
Haiku in the anthology Poet’s Pages Anthology #2 (September 2011)
Poetry featured on Back Room Live Online. (March 28, 2009)
Prose - Wyoming – Ballyhoo Stories 50 states project 2007.
Postings as a Guest Blogger:
Being Your Authentic Self Guest Post at Military Partners and Families Coalition (October 13, 2013)
Obsolete Tools in the Writer’s Critique Toolbox Guest Post at Nina Amir’s Blog Write Nonfiction Now! (March 20, 2013)
X then Y – Resolving Relationship Conflict (March 20, 2011)
Love and Money – Partners or Roommates (January 26, 2010)
Works in Print – -
Journals and other publications:
Narrative nonfiction – War Cats. Adanna Literary Journal, March 2013
Narrative nonfiction – Doctor Dominatrix. Bluestem Literary Journal, Spring 2013
Narrative essay – Family Support: Then and Now. Outserve Magazine Vol. 3, Issue I, May/June 2013
Narrative nonfiction – Camp Courage, Iraq, Looking Out From Tower Ten. Back Room Live, Vol I, Issue I, March 2008
Narrative nonfiction – What was it Like? Milvia Street, Vista Community College Art and Literary Journal 2005
Haiku in the anthology Waves of Sorrow Poems written in response to the Japanese earthquake (2011) available as an ebook download. All proceeds donated to relief agencies.
Narrative essay – Convoy Day. Powder – Writing by Women in the Ranks, from Vietnam to Iraq edited by Lisa Bowden and Shannon Cain. Kore Press 2008
Poem - Bosnia 1996. Powder – Writing by Women in the Ranks, from Vietnam to Iraq edited by Lisa Bowden and Shannon Cain. Kore Press 2008
Narrative essay – Apples. More Bridges – The 2007 San Francisco Writers Conference Anthology edited by Michael Larsen and Elizabeth Pomada. iUniverse 2007
Poem – Challenge. More Bridges – The 2007 San Francisco Writers Conference Anthology edited by Michael Larsen and Elizabeth Pomada. iUniverse 2007
- L Is for Lion: An Italian Bronx Butch Freedom Memoir by Annie Rachele Lanzillotto, Sacramento Book Review April 2013
- Old MacDonald Had a Farm – A Golden Book, Sacramento Book Review April 2013
- Gathering Strength: Conversations with Afghan Women by Peggy Kelsey, Sacramento Book Review, April 2013
- Crown of Vengeance by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, San Francisco Book Review, March 2013
- The CV Book 2nd ed.: Your definitive guide to writing the perfect CV (2nd Edition) by James Innes, San Francisco Book Review, March 2013
- Prisoner B-3087 by Ruth Gruener, Jack Gruener and Alan Gratz, San Francisco Book Review, March 2013
- The Seraph Contingency by Jennifer Fales, San Francisco Book Review, March 2013
- My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor, San Francisco Book Review, March 2013
- Code 15 by Gary Birken, San Francisco Book Review, 1.7 (March 2010)
- Wow It’s a Cow by T. Harris, J.R. Harris, San Francisco Book Review, 1.7 (March 2010)
- A Tired Woman’s Guide to Passionate Sex: Reclaim Your Desire and Reignite Your Relationship by Laurie B. Mintz, Sacramento Book Review 2.6 (February 2010)
- Helping Baby Sleep: The Science and Practice of Gentle Bedtime Parenting by Dr. Anni Gethin and Beth Macgregor, Sacramento Book Review 2.3 (November 2009)
- Dog Rules by Kyra Sundance, Sacramento Book Review 1.9 (May 2009)
(Online reviews at San Francisco Book Review and San Francisco Book Review no longer available due to server fail. Lesson learned!)
Print and Ebooks – -
What others are saying about No Red Pen – Writers, Writing Groups & Critique:
“A good critique group should help you grow, not make you cower. Hudson has written a comprehensive guide to forming and maintaining a cower-free, supportive, honest, and enriching one. A must-read for anyone looking to start a fabulous writing group (or wanting to fix a broken one)!” - Tanya Egan Gibson, author How to Buy a Love of Reading.
“Allowing others to read and critique your work is not something a writer should take lightly. This smart book will help you avoid potential pitfalls and ensure that you understand the process. It is a valuable tool for writers!” - Stephanie Chandler, author of several books including The Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform.
“Learning to give and to get a critique is an essential part of honing a writer’s work. In this short, easy-to-digest book, Vicki Hudson offers invaluable, step-by-step advice on how critique partners can respectfully offer feedback so the writer actually can hear it and put it to use. This book should be required reading for every critique group!” - Nina Amir, author of How to Blog a Book.
No Red Pen – Writers, Writing Groups & Critique is available as a free download at Smashwords, Apple’s iBookstore, Barnes and Noble, Kobo. Find it in print at Diesel, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Free copy at smashwords in a variety of formats. Buy your print or Ebook copy at Amazon.
Other E-Book Downloads:
CHOW An Army moves on its stomach but sometimes, you eat like a native or at least what you can scrounge. Chow explores one Soldier’s best meals ever. (.99 cents with a portion of the cost going towards establishment of a Veteran’s MFA in writing scholarship.)